Cashews one of my favourite additions to soup - they turn a boring soup into a rich, creamy, delicious masterpiece. Add cashews to any soup instead of dairy and you will wonder why you even bothered with dairy in the first place. Cashews are a good source of both mono- and poly-unsaturated fats and they are a good source of protein too. They are heaped with micronutrients like copper, magnesium, manganese and are a great way to turn a soup into a meal.
Cauliflower is in the same family as broccoli, kale and cabbage - the brassicas - and is a great source of phytochemicals that are associated with cancer preventive properties. Cauliflower is one of those vegetables that I could take or leave. I don't mind it raw to dip in hummus and I grew up with it cooked and smothered in cheese sauce (which is delicious, by the way!), but other than that cauliflower is just not my vegetable... until now. This soup is so creamy and flavourful that it is hard to resist.
The great thing about this soup is that it's packed full of vegetables, but you would never know it... it also tastes great topped with cheese or nooch or your favourite vegan cheeze. Because the soup is blended, you can chop the veggies very roughly (or even in the food processor) and it makes it a super quick meal to prepare (WOOT!). So what are you waiting for?! Go and make some soup.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 stalks of celery
- 1/2 head of cauliflower
- 6-8 cups of water or vegetable stock
- 1 cup cashew cream
- Chop all veggies roughly or blitz them in the food processor
- Heat olive oil and add onion, carrots and celery. Cook for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the cauliflower, cook for another 3 minutes.
- Pour in your water or stock, bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for about 20 minutes or until the veggies are soft.
- Pour in cashew cream and blend until smooth.
- Top with your choice of cheese, chives or even some roasted cauliflower.
Note: if your soup is too thick, thin out with a bit of water or until the soup reaches the consistency that you like.